Your Relationship With Your Children
The relationship between parents and children is important. Unfortunately, it often becomes one of the most contentious aspects of divorce proceedings. When you are facing a divorce, you need a lawyer who will take the time at the beginning to learn your needs and wishes regarding child custody and visitation, and then execute those wishes vigorously.
At the Medway, Massachusetts, law firm of Kenney & Kenney, Attorneys at Law, we understand the importance of child custody and visitation issues when our clients are going through a divorce. Working with our Holliston, Franklin, Medway and surrounding Massachusetts communities clients, our attorneys put your needs first, taking the time with you at the beginning of our representation to make sure we know what you want at the end of the day.
The Child Custody And Visitation Process In A Divorce
Our process when it comes to child custody and visitation is similar to how we would handle any aspect of a divorce, like child support and alimony, meaning:
- Consultation: Our initial consultation is free. During this time, we learn about your situation, your goals and your hopes for representation, and then form an action plan for your case.
- Negotiation: Before litigation, we do everything we can to put together a parenting plan by negotiating with the other party and his or her counsel.
- Mediation: Mediation is an alternative dispute resolution option. You work with a mediator who will help you and your ex-spouse resolve the issues outside of the courtroom. Mediation is not mandatory, however many clients choose to mediate because it is often cheaper, quicker and more agreeable than the traditional court process, and it allows the parties to retain a greater level of control.
- Trial: All of the matters that could not be resolved through negotiation or mediation are brought into a traditional divorce litigation process. We will vigorously represent you in court, arguing for exactly what you want in the proceedings.
- Modification: When details of life change over the course of time, we can represent you in modifying the orders of your divorce to better reflect your current circumstances.